All Content Copyright to Somewhere Down the Centerline. Powered by Blogger.

The Price We Pay

>> Monday, December 27, 2010

In a recent conversation, the following statement was made about our indoor arena:

"Looking at the money, I just don't see how she'll ever be able to justify building it."

Yeah, indoors can be extremely pricey.

But I have a question: Honestly, how many of our horse habits (looking from a money perspective) are justifiable?

Mine certainly isn't.
My saddles cost $4000; my tall boots are well over $200. Breeches and riding tights combined? I have about 7 or 8 pairs, the cheapest I got on sale from Dover for about $20. On top of that, I have gone through a decade's worth of helmets. Add in enough bridles for a small cavalry, girths, saddle pads, riser pads, stirrup pads, bits, bell boots, gallop boots, bucking straps....

And that's just the beginning. Then you have the farrier every six weeks, vet bills, medicines, lessons, trailers, trucks, BIGGER trailers, BIGGER trucks, everything but the kitchen sink and reliable human band aids to go in the trailer, hay bags, shipping wraps..

Not to mention Horse, a medley of prenatal and post-birth costs.

Can I justify any of that?
I certainly am not rich. (I live in a camper that doesn't even have an indoor bathroom, for crying out loud.)
I do come from a well-off family, but my mother also has a deep horse addiction.
2 addicts, one household.. Does not a rich family make.

The answer: I cannot.
I cannot reasonably justify spending hundreds of thousands of dollars.

But during long bareback trail rides, breathing the stride after a perfect oxer, teaching little kids diagonals, dancing somewhere down the centerline, I get all the justification I need.

Until next time,
Girl

1 comments:

Achieve1dream December 28, 2010 at 5:29 PM  

Sigh. I know that feeling! It's so worth it though. :)

Post a Comment


Girl, age 13. Horse, age.. A couple days?

Followers

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP