All Content Copyright to Somewhere Down the Centerline. Powered by Blogger.

Blame It On The Rain.

>> Thursday, February 24, 2011

If there's one thing I like more than attractive waiters or the perfect half-pass, it's rain.

I miss those working student days the most.. Raindrops drumming me awake, splashing against my legs as I fed. Brushing against my cheeks, getting caught in my eyelashes. I even liked riding in the rain, in an indoor or outside. Those days, I'd turn on soft classical music, and let the rumble of thunder add to the crescendo.

The Boss Mare rode to the droll sounds of National Public Radio. So one rainy morning, I tacked up her second horse and led him down to wait for her. I plopped into a chair near the arena entrance.

Stalled horses dozed in their stalls - some with their heads low in the corner, others sprawled out in their shavings. The sounds of rain and thunder mixed with the scratchy tones of liberal media.

It was a cocktail more potent than Nyquil. The gelding, not immune, drooped his nose into my lap. He cocked his hindfoot up to rest, closed his eyes.

I leaned back in the chair as I scratched his ears and neck, feeling woozy and heady from the drum of Mother Nature and some carefully twisted media. I yawned. My eyes began to blink shut. My limbs felt filled with lead....

And then with a start, I woke up. I jumped, and the gelding jerked away from me.

The Boss Mare stood alongside her first mount. Her hand rested on her hip, and her head tilted to one side. "Were you... Sleeping?"

"Uh. No?"

We traded horses as I wiped the drool from the side of my mouth.

I wish I could say that was the only time she found me drifting off in the chair... Maybe later I'll tell you about how I love hot summer afternoons with Wishbone Ash puffing from the speakers.

Until then,
Girl

4 comments:

Achieve1dream February 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM  

Miss? Are you not a working student anymore? :(

I actually don't really like the rain. Or the mud. I like watching lightning though. :)

Achieve1dream February 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM  

Oh and I forgot to ask, how is Horse? Is she better?

Girl February 26, 2011 at 9:25 AM  

My mom had a hip replacement right around the time my dad did a lot of travelling for his job (November).. So I moved back to help keep our farm in one piece.

I decided to kill some of my free time blogging and am also in college.

Horse is waiting for an appointment to go see the vet. I started back riding her when I moved back, but she still doesn't feel right.
ugh.
I'm hoping it's saddle fit or possibly just her being bad.

Achieve1dream February 27, 2011 at 9:33 PM  

Ouch for you mom. That's no fun at all. I hope she's healing up quickly. :)

That's too bad you had to leave. I'd love to have a working student position. :)

Keep us updated on Horse. I hope it's something simple to fix and that's she's okay.

I'm glad you're writing again.

Post a Comment


Girl, age 13. Horse, age.. A couple days?

Followers

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP